Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tricks Of My Trade - Jan 08 2008

New Years Resolutions

2008 is here, and most of us have already broken our New Year Resolutions (if we made any at all). I made some. I know what you’re thinking – what kind of resolution does a magician make? Well, believe it or not, in the world of entertainment, goals are very important.

First, I have made a resolution to return to performing full time by the Summer of 2008. You see, I’ve been rehabbing a back injury and have been unable to perform at the level I have, and took a self imposed 1 ½ year hiatus. In October I announced my intentions publicly at Magicpalooza, and now it’s time to do it.

Second, I have made a resolution to debut a new theater show. This ties into the latter, but when I say new, I mean new! My most successful show has been a 1940s magic musical called Swingin’ At The Roxy. While it’s been good to me, it is time to create something fresh. Watch this space for more. Oh, and I am seeking dancers and singers for this project…

Third, revitalize Music City Magic. I launched Music City Magic 5 years ago and made it Nashville’s only weekly Magic and Variety Revue. After our 4th season, the venue closed and we (myself, Jason Michaels and Scott Cantrell) have been searching for the perfect venue to call our new home. We are very close, and hopefully Music City Magic will live again very soon!

Finally, sell 50,000 copies of my book Theatrical Magic (available at magic dealers everywhere).

So there you have it. Those are my goals for 2008. Maybe not as glamorous as you had hoped, but important to me. Over the next several months, I will be using this column to report on progress in each of these areas, so you will be the first to know the latest news!

No comments: